Monday, August 9, 2010

Updates & Kudos

I came up with a cute idea for a greeting card line. I even figured out the series title for them as well. Hopefully I can come up with some free time and really get into creating them... I have one finished so far! I just have to get the rest of them done, and order some test cards to make sure printing/alignment and all that is perfect.

I'm still collecting work from different folders to create some pretty artsy Christmas cards for this year, and I'm hoping to have them out by October so those who want them will have their chance on getting them.

Steve and I have a long weekend ahead of us in a couple weeks, hopefully I can take advantage of 2 of those days to get working on this. We're heading down to Cape May for lots of bike riding, beach lounging and military history lessons.
He picked up a little Sony Cyber shot for me yesterday, to replace my Canon 780 that was ruined while we were in Key West. I've learned my lesson, and I'll be taking better care of this little guy!

I have a lot of work created, but waiting for the right time before I release it out. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it as of yet.

It's funny to me when I get requests for prints, and people comment on how excited they are to "have a Misty Blankenship hanging on their wall". I'm very modest when it comes to my work, and I have always been. This had originally started out as my outlet, something I did for myself on the side to kill my boredom, or escape from the craziness of life. I never thought I'd be so involved with getting it out to the public.... or even enjoying doing so for that matter! Through out the years, I've never even really considered myself as a "photographer", I'd always correct someone when they'd call me that, telling them that "I'm not a photographer- I'm just into photography."
It's tough to be in a position as a "photographer", having your own "way" of how you work and trying to succeed as a professional. There's a lot of hustling/bending/compromising of your creative means to get yourself out there. There isn't a huge market for fine art photography- but somehow I've managed to work that to my advantage. I think if you stick true to who you are, what you do and what you're good at, then eventually you end up rising out of the crowd in your own way, despite how quickly or slowly you've gotten yourself there.
I never gave up the creative media I know I'm good at. I do enjoy different approaches and types of photography, but fine art is what I've always favored.

So. Just a quick thanks to everyone who has supported me along the way :) The criticism, the praise, the pushing.
Thanks everyone :)