Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Morning

I was up before the sun this morning. Drove around with my camera- The main reason I love this area in the Fall is actually for 2 reasons.
-The colors.
-The fog during this season.
The foliage in this area is just vast, but you don't really notice it until the season changes in October- when you really get a eyeful of the color palette this area has to offer.
It's a guarantee around this time of year of the heavy fog that'll just sit and linger in the early hours. Being that I'm in between 2 mountain ranges, some days it drifts on for hours. Warwick right now is sunny, while we're still in the gloom.
Though I do not mind. Not today.

I waited patiently for over an hour on top of Mt Peter. Warm in my truck with the window cracked to let the misty breeze take a peek in to my little world of comfort and silence. If I closed my eyes, I would have sworn I was by the ocean, just without the taste of salt in the air. I waited for the fog to settle down over the valley so I could get some photos of when the sun would touch the peaks and colorful arrangements of trees and farmhouses.
But there was a thunderstorm in my stomach and I needed coffee. And the fog wasn't lifting quick enough.

So I drove over to Wawayanda. By now it was a little past eight a.m. Down through Warwick the sun was out, the birds were restless in the air. Looking back, I could see the thick grey air hovering from where I just came down from.
It wasn't going anywhere, anytime soon. I had its promise.
Driving back up further down the mountain range, I encountered more fog, giving the beautiful Wawayanda an early morning, drizzled ambiance. It was like going back in time twenty minutes ago from the top of Mt. Peter.
Wawayanda was more like opening my eyes to Hawaii for the first time. The birds sung, so lively, and the air was a mixture of warmth and dampness, though it was still sunless.

And I thought, only for a split moment, of how I'd give anything to be back in time to that period. I wouldn't have that sunken pain, deep in my stomach and tugging at my heart...

But I didn't let that thought wander too far. I wanted to breathe in the calmness that Wawayanda offered to me at that moment.

I didn't spend too much time there. I felt I didn't deserve the tranquility, not with the mood I've been in the past few days.

So I drove back up to Mt. Peter, parked in the same spot I was in an hour before. The fog still as heavy. I watched a flock of crows spinning around above where the mist met the drop off to the valley below. Sailing in and out of the haze.

The thunderstorm in my stomach had gotten louder, making me feel almost sick.

It was time to go home.